On Our Website
On Our Website
On Our Website:
Trescott History
1881 Atlas
Historical Links
Trescott Today
About Us
Contact Us / Join
Trescott Places

Activities:
THS Newsletter
Local Business

 
Our Next Meeting
Details to be announced.


We meet at the Lubec Memorial Library

Lubec Public Library - Click for Directions

Trescott Historical Society Newsletter
Download this newsletter in PDF format - THS-Newsletter-Fall-Winter2011.pdf


Looking east from Moose Cove toward Eastern Head and Little Moose Island, South Trescott.

News Notes
Fall / Winter 2010 / 2011


Since our last News Note the society has carried out a number of activities. We had a guest speaker, and uncovered a number of old (and current) records, documents and publications.

Here is a run-down of our recent meeting agendas and discussions.


Our 85th meeting was held in January, 2010. We renewed the QuoddyTides subscription as a gift to the Lubec Memorial Library. A collection of $80.00 was taken at the holiday party, and with matched THS funds $180.00 was donated to the Whiting Food Pantry. This year has been particularly difficult for the area’s many unemployed. The annual election returned the same slate of officers and Board of Directors members.


February’s agenda
included a discussion about a proposed fishermen’s memorial or plaque to remember the many fishermen who have been lost in local waters over the years. The memorial plaque would be erected on or near Lubec’s working waterfront.

It was voted that we contact all area real estate agencies requesting notification of any local historical materials that may have been left behind in homes listed for sale, or that may turn up.

The March meeting was spent preparing press releases for our April Lecture Series guest speaker, Dean Preston, the Superintendent of Washington County’s Unorganized Territories. The latter part of the evening we presented Alan Furth, Director of the Cobscook Community Learning Center in Trescott. His talk focused on the Center’s planned creation of a for-profit food production enterprise as a branch of their present non-profit 501(c)(3) facility. The initial plan calls for the marketing of an all-local seafood chowder.

At the April meeting
discussions centered around who owns the various cemeteries in Trescott Township. A study done by two of our members concludes that all but one cemetery/graveyard has at least one U. S. veteran interred therein. Maine statutes direct towns and cities to see that such hallowed sites shall be maintained by the municipality, if no owner of record can be found. Exactly how this relates to Trescott and other unorganized townships is unclear at this time. We are in the process of nailing down the applicable statute(s).

The guest that we had lined up for our April Speakers’ Series: Dean Preston, Supervisor of the County’s Unorganized Territories, was a no-show.

Because of a number
of members’ summer commitments the May, June and July meetings were cancelled.

However, two field trips took place: in September to Cal Cole’s video yard sale, and in October a canoe trip down the East Stream and South Branch of the Cobscook River to Saunders Point in search of an old bronze burial marker, observed as recently as a year ago. Our search came up empty. We’ll try again in the spring.



Finally August arrived and picnic baskets, equipment and a new gas grill were hauled out to the West Quoddy Head Lighthouse for our annual picnic. We wish all our members could have made it, but most of you do live at long distances. For us, the social highlights of the year were the holiday party in mid-December and the picnic in late August. We really do have a blast at both these events. Maybe you could make it to one or another of these “extravaganzas” down the road. These affairs are freebies and everybody is always welcome.

View from Haycock Head, South Trescott, looking south-west across Haycock Harbor.


 
At the September meeting Rick Tanney brought the Charles Blaskowitz 1775 map of the Passamaquoddy Bay area. He made copies from the Net and University of Maine’s Fogler Library. This map is an eye-opener because it names “Bailey’s Mistake” as early as 1775. Later published maps of Passamaquoddy Bay by John Wright and Frederic DeBarres also show this inlet as Bailey’s Mistake. But the myth continues that the place was named for the captain of a schooner whose ship managed to “climb the rocks” in a blizzard sometime in the 1830s, while he (Bailey) thought he was making a run for the Lubec Narrows.

Portion of the Charles Blaskowitz map, drawn in 1775 from a 1770 survey, shows that Bailey’s Mistake was named at some point earlier than 1770. So who was the Bailey it was named for?


Copies of old Washington County
newspaper clippings were given to each member whose family names appeared in them. Members Carl and Kim Zils sent some page copies from “a couple of books I recently came across at my parents’ used book store, Prescott Hill Books, in Northport Maine.” They were Maine Place Names, A. Chadbourne, 1955, and The Pine Tree Coast, S. A. Drake, 1891. Drake says, “From Little River to West Quoddy Head, a distance of five leagues, no shore could wear a more weird or forbidding appearance. Look where you will, nothing is to be seen but wild waves lashing an iron shore, with a pine here and there rearing its tall head above the dark fringe of vegetation. Except about Moose River and Haycock’s Harbor (sic), which afford some little shelter, the coast shows an unbroken front of half-mountainous ranges of ashen cliffs, a league or more in width, from which monster headlands protrude far out, and against which the sea breaks so violently as sometimes to throw the water a hundred feet in the air. But the rough weather and inhospitable coastline are not the worst enemies the navigator encounters here.”

October was not a great month
for “ooh and ahh” foliage, but our meeting was colorful with a decorated table full of Halloween refreshments. A list of the best genealogy websites was given, and Soni Biehl was voted Vice President, pro tem, in the absence of Rick Tanney, who secured a temporary teaching position in South Korea.

Plans were made
at the November meeting for the holiday party in December, which turned out to be full of fun and festivity. We raised $61.00 for the Whiting Food Pantry, which was then matched with THS funds for a $122.00 donation.

The year went like a shot,
but as with any small organization, there is so much to do with too few people. We know you appreciate all that the meeting members accomplish and we recognize that we can still do a lot more with your ongoing help and and encouragement.

Special thanks go to those
who have kept the THS computer up and running; clipped newspaper articles; purchased materials for our holdings; sent us their family genealogies; researched Trescott records; helped with constructing a new website after a year without one; brought goodies to meetings…. and to you through your active memberships.

TRESCOTT THEN AND NOW - 1910 and 2010

The 1910 U.S. Census
numbers the Trescott population at 462. The 2010 census shows 315 full-time Trescott residents. The peak population was 661 in 1870. In 1910 there were 109 resident and 38 non-resident taxpayers. In 2010 there were 381 property owners in Trescott Township. Of these, only 126 were full-time resident taxpayers and 255 were from away, so to speak, and paid a property tax on a seasonal structure or on vacant land.

[The Town of Trescott deorganized in 1945 and become an unorganized township.]

So, looking at the above figures it is clear that our non-resident future neighbors account for at least three-quarters of Trescott’s property tax assessments. That’s huge.

AND HOW ABOUT THIS?

Taken from the 1910 Trescott Town Report:
Real Estate Valuations Residents
Non-Residents
$39,671.00
5,587.00
Personal (horses,cows,autos,pianos,boats,wood,etc.) 14,058.00
Total Trescott f/y 1910 assessed valuation $59,906.00
Total tax levy f/y 1910 (includes school budget) $ 2,346.48

. . . . and there were 117 students enrolled in six schools in the Town of Trescott in 1910.




The Trescott Historical Society is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. All memberships, donations and contributions to the Society are tax-deductible. And thank you very much.

Annual dues are due: $10 single; $15 family. Dues cover one year from the date they are received. And, contrary to those persistent rumors, we are still welcoming new members.
Visit our contact page and add your email address to receive news from the Trescott Historical Society
On Our Website
 
The Trescott Historical Society is a private membership organization and is open to the public. We are dedicated to the study and publication of the history of the Township of Trescott, Maine. The now-unincorporated town of Trescott is nestled between the towns of Whiting & Cutler to the west, and Lubec to the east. To the north are the shores of Whiting Bay and Straight Bay, and to the south is Grand Manan Channel in the mouth of the Bay of Fundy.

Formerly known as Plantation No. 9, it was incorporated in 1827, named after Major Lemuel Trescott (1751-1826), a patriot from the American Revolution, who had moved to the area in 1784, and had become a prominent citizen. During those early days, the town of Trescott was busy with lumbering, farming and fishing.




Contents Copyright 2017 by Trescott Historical Society, but please feel free to use and link.